We have received an email from Birkbeck Hauxwell Publishing to ask if we would help publizise the Annual ‘Agnes Sloan Memorial Prize’ Competition. Good luck to any of our students who enter.
‘Agnes Sloan Memorial Prize’ Competition
Below you will find the details of our Annual ‘Agnes Sloan Memorial Prize’ Competition for 2011. By entering, you are agreeing to illustrate and design a short children’s book by the 30th of November 2011, to the Publisher’s requirements. Please consider this commitment carefully to ensure that you can fulfil requirement of the whole project before entering.
We believe that this represents an excellent opportunity for new illustrators to gain valuable industry experience and for one to have their work published.
The Competition Image – ‘Momo and the Totobrats’
Please provide an image depicting your vision of the following:
Main Character: Momo – a little boy aged about 4 years old.
Other Characters: a crowd of Totobrats – all we know is that they are little people, the size of the 4 year old boy, Momo, and that they are very naughty and violent towards each other.
Scene: Momo is floating down from the sky, holding onto a multi-coloured umbrella. It had been raining, but now the sky is clear and blue. Momo is floating towards the rampaging Totobrats, into their strange, “far away” land.
Entrants must email their image to: email@example.com providing details of their full name, address and date of birth.
All entries must be received in .pdf format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org 7pm on Monday, 29th August 2011.
Good luck and thank you for your interest in becoming an Illustrator with Birkbeck Hauxwell Publishing!
The images created for the competition must be the original, previously unpublished work of the entrant.
The entrant agrees to transfer the copyright in this work to the Publisher (Birkbeck Hauxwell Publishing).
As well as being an excellent artist/illustrator, the entrant will have to be capable of fully digitising the work to the specified standard and arranging the text/ typesetting fonts onto the images.
The images must be in colour.
The images themselves can be created by any means, so long as they capable of being saved in a .pdf format. The finished book size will be 8.5″ x 8.5″, full colour, at least 300 dpi resolution, CMYK colour space and so the PDF spec will need to have its version compatibility set for Acrobat 6.0/PDF V1.5 (at least), or similar.
Terms & Conditions
- The competition is open to all.
- A contact address in the UK must be provided by the winning applicant where contracts can be sent to.
- All entries must be made by email to the publisher (see ‘illustration requirements’).
- By submitting an image to the Publisher, you enter this competition and agree to be bound by each and all of the terms and conditions of it.
- The Publisher’s decision on the winning entry is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- All entries must be the original work of the competition entrant and must not have been submitted elsewhere; nor the characters be under consideration elsewhere; or have been previously published on any other medium.
- By entering, you agree that the winning illustration will form part of a larger project for the illustration of a children’s book (under 8’s market), of not more than 25 illustrations, for which you agree to provide the images within 3 months of the competition closing date (by noon, Wednesday, 30th November 2011). Please do not enter unless you are able to complete the whole project.
- You also agree to design the layout of the book, overlaying text over the images and saving these as a .pdf to the printers’ specifications (details will be supplied).
- You will be asked to sign a Non-Disclosure (NDA)/Confidentiality form and a Transfer of Copyright contract, transferring your rights in the images to the publisher without limitation.
- In consideration for this, you will have your work published and be acknowledged as the illustrator of the published book. You will also receive a copy of the printed book.
- A prize of £50 will also be awarded to the winning illustrator on receipt of the satisfactorily completed .pdfs of the whole book (‘The Agnes Sloan Memorial Prize’).
- A royalty (4%) will be paid on the net book sales to the winning illustrator of the book following publication.
- There will be no further remuneration or reward.
Birkbeck Hauxwell Publishing
Regency House,30 Babylon Drive, Bellshill, NorthLanarkshire,Scotland, ML4 2DN
Tel: (01698) 290 105 Email: email@example.com http://birkbeckhauxwell.co.uk